You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 55398  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 55398
Location: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHESTER ROAD (west side)
  DUNHAM ON THE HILL, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 25 April 2004
Date listed: 20 December 1983
Date of last amendment: 20 December 1983
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 47SEDUNHAM ON THE HILL C.P.CHESTER ROAD (WEST SIDE)5/15Church of St LukeII

SJ 47SE DUNHAM ON THE HILL C.P. CHESTER ROAD (WEST SIDE) 5/15 Church of St Luke II Church. 1860-1 by James Harrison in early C14th style. Sandstone, slate roof. Nave and chancel with bellcote at west end. South porch, north and south vestries. 3 bay aisleless nave windows have pointed heads and reticulated tracery. 2-light nave windows have plain leaded lights. 4-light west window and 3-light east window have stained glass. Outer porch doorway has hood mould with returned stops. 3 niches within porch, one on left, 2 on right, have pointed heads. Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, stone gable parapet, stone crosses at east end of nave and chancel. Interior: Timber screen has linenfold panelling. Pine pews. Octagonal stone font inscribed and dated 1863 has octagonal pedestal and base. Octagonal timber pulpit Panelled screen behind altar. Cross designed by G.G.Scott and made by Skidmore of Coventry. High Victorian style with heavy relief. Elaborate gilt cross, brought from above choir screen, Chester Cathedral 1921. Pevsner & Hubbard.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.