© Mr Peter Sargeant
CHURCH OF ST MARY,
THORNTON LE MOORS, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Mr Peter Sargeant
04 April 2004
01 June 1967
Date of last amendment:
01 June 1967
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 47SW THORNTON-LE-MOORS C.P. THE VILLAGE
4/48 Church of St Mary
Church. C14th onwards, probably on site of pre-Conquest church. Red
sandstone. Slate roofs. Nave, with tower in south west corner, south
porch, north east chancel, south east Elton chapel. C14th embattled
tower, partly rebuilt, has stepped buttresses, 3 chamfered stone
bands, 2-light bell openings with 4 centred stopped hood moulds.
C14th traceried 2-light window on south wall. C14th buttressed nave
with chamfered plinth has 3 similar windows on south wall. 2 north
wall windows are similar. One and west window are C16th, 3-light in
deep recesses. C17th south porch has round arched moulded entrance,
in front of C14th doorway containing door of 6 raised and fielded
panels, and inscribed in the panelled head above. TD, IC [CHURCH]
W[ARDEN] 1725. 3 bay chancel has 2-light C16th windows, 5-light east
window has broad rounded head, and moulded hood. 2 mouchettes above
lights. Perpendicular. Elton chapel in 3 bays alongside chancel has
3-light windows one replaced. Small door has 4 centred arched head.
Interior. Nave is divided by central arcade of 5 pointed arches on
octagonal piers. 3 bay chancel above arcade, has octagonal bases,
piers and capitals. C16th chancel roof. 1695 3-sided alter rail has
twisted and turned balusters, moulded rail. Altar table, with twisted
and turned legs inscribed Tho Bush, Joh Johns Curch War 1694. Raised
and fielded panelling with moulded cornice, round chancel walls.
C17th reading desk, choir stalls, some with raised and fielded
panelling and turned finials dated 16 ICE 94. Bunbury family memorial
tablets, probably by Randle Holmes dating 1634-1686, painted on wood.
Rev. Rowland Chambre, Rector, 1760-1796, marble tablet, in
vestry/chapel. Fluted marble font, C17th. Fragments C10th cross
shaft with figure and animal carvings from trench round church.
C17th, probably, sandstone water stoop, on carved pedestel.
Pevsner and Hubbard. Richards R Old Cheshire Churches Morten (1973)