You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 56058  

Print Page



© Mr Martin Byrne

IoE Number: 56058
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S ROAD
  WIDNES, HALTON, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Martin Byrne
Date Photographed: 15 April 2006
Date listed: 31 October 1983
Date of last amendment: 31 October 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 48 NEFORMER BOROUGH OF WIDNESST MICHAEL'S ROAD,Ditton1/97Church of St.Michael

SJ 48 NE FORMER BOROUGH OF WIDNES ST MICHAEL'S ROAD, Ditton 1/97 Church of St.Michael II* Catholic Church 1876-9, by Henry Clutton, in red sandstone ashlar with slate roof. Cruciform with 8 bay arcade which passes the short transepts and takes in the chancel. At the west end of the nave there is an impressive tower with steep saddleback roof. The main entrance, in the tower, is a pair of large board filled 3 panel doors in a Gothic opening with treble shaft treatment, this idea is extended upwards to the 3 bell-stage lancets which are framed by shafts with rings. The gables of the chancel and transepts have rose windows with stained glass, elsewhere windows are large lancets. Steep pitched roof with crested ridge tiles surrounded by eaves parapet in the form of a continuous open arcade. Interior: Twin coupled shafts with early Gothic style crocket caps run throughout the length of the building and support Gothic aisle arches and a hardwood boarded barrel vaulted ceiling which is common to the chancel and nave. The north transept has the organ and the south confessionals. The chancel has yellow sandstone walls and marble floors, whereas the nave has plastered walls. Built for a Jesuit community expelled from Germany in 1872.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.