You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 57062  

Print Page



© Mr Howard W Hilton ARPS

IoE Number: 57062
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, WHITCHURCH ROAD
  DODCOTT CUM WILKESLEY, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Howard W Hilton ARPS
Date Photographed: 27 August 1999
Date listed: 12 January 1967
Date of last amendment: 12 January 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DODCOTT CUM WILKESLEY C.P. WHITCHURCH ROADSJ 64 SW7/38Church of St Michaell2-1-67GVII

DODCOTT CUM WILKESLEY C.P. WHITCHURCH ROAD SJ 64 SW 7/38 Church of St Michael l2-1-67 GV II Church. 1769 with additions of 1886. Built for the Cottons of Combermere. Red Flemish bond brick with a slate roof. The C18 church was of cruciform plan to which two further transepts and a chancel were added in 1886 as well as a new west wall and a north western porch and a bellcote. Western end: slightly projecting brick plinth with a chamfered top. Pilaster buttresses to either side. Ashlar band upon which the three round arched windows rest with ashlar surrounds and an ashlar band at the level of the springing of their arches with keystones above. Stone cornice above this with a plain frieze. Above the pilaster buttresses are ashlar fluted drums with conical caps and ball finials. To the gable is a circular clock face in a square surround with a swan-necked pediment above with a stylised wafer and chalice set between the two halves of the pediment. Ashlar coping to the gable with a cross to the apex. To the ridge behind this is the bellcote which is of timber with a lead roof and splayed wooden body which has a round-headed arch to each side and weather-cock to the summit. The northern side has the porch of 1886 to the right which has a round arch with a console keystone and an ashlar band at the level of the springing. Pedimental gable above with a carving showing St George slaying the dragon. To either side are porthole windows. Behind the porch is a blocked round-headed window and to left are the two C18 bays being a transept with a round arched window of two arched lights with a circular light to the apex. Projecting keystone and springers. Pedimental gable above with an ashlar surround. To the left again is a similar window. The southern side of the nave is similar save that no porch has been imposed and it therefore has 3 symmetrically disposed bays. The chancel addition of 1886 has to its southern side a vestry at left to the right of which is a single-light round-headed window. The northern side has a transept at right with 3 arched-headed lights and a porthole light to the pedimental gable and a cross to the apex. To the left is a single light round-headed window. The eastern end has a tripe round-headed lancet window contained within a round relieving arch which has ashlar springers and keystone with clasping pilaster buttresses to either side and fluted drum finials with conical caps as at the western end. The church was noted by Dr Johnson on his visit to Combermere in 1774.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.