© Mr R.G. Noxon
TOWN BRIDGE OVER WEAVER NAVIGATION, AND CONTROL CABIN, BULL RING
NORTHWICH, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE
Mr R.G. Noxon
28 June 2005
19 August 1986
Date of last amendment:
19 August 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 67 SE NORTHWICH C.P. BULL RING
5/28 Town Bridge over Weaver
Navigation, and Control
Swing bridge, 1899, steel, of one pivoted span with asymmetrical
bowstring lattice girders; pivot on west bank of river. Barrier with
spiked railing on railway track at west end of bridge; pair of steel
gates at east end on ornate cast iron posts. A cast iron plaque at
west end of each girder is inscribed, in raised capitals, ERECTED BY
THE WEAVER NAVIGATION TRUSTEES: 1899; ENGINEER J.A.SANER M.INST.C.E.:
CONTRACTOR FOR METALWORK A.HANDYSIDE & COMPANY LTD. DERBY AND LONDON.
Timber framed weatherboarded control cabin north of bridge on west
bank has wide-eaved hipped roof with ornate finials; small-pane
casements form a continuous band to river side and ends of cabin;
fixed steel ladder, with guardrail, to river bank.
This and Hayhurst Bridge (q.v.) are believed to be the earliest
electrically powered swing bridges in Britain.