You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 58372  

Print Page



© Mr J M Pickering

IoE Number: 58372
Location: NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, (west side)
  PRESTBURY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr J M Pickering
Date Photographed: 11 April 2007
Date listed: 25 July 1952
Date of last amendment: 25 July 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 97 NWPRESTBURY C.P.THE VILLAGE(West Side)5/206 & 6/206National WestminsterBank (formerly listed

SJ 97 NW PRESTBURY C.P. THE VILLAGE (West Side) 5/206 & 6/206 National Westminster Bank (formerly listed as Priest's House) 25/7/1952 GV II* Formerly vicarage (known as Priest's House) later cottages and now a bank. C16 origins. Much earlier C17 work complete and sympathetic restoration 1968-70. Timber framed on ashlar sandstone plinth. Kerridge stone-slate roof and stone ridge. 2½ storey, near symmetrical 5-bay front. 2nd and 4th bays are square projections rising 2½ storeys with cross gabled roofs to dormers. Lower storey has 2-light casements with applied lozenge shaped glazing. Above are 2-light windows with trefoil shaped heads, some with original lattice leaded glazing. Fronts and sides of dormers have cross motifs in small panels and single lights. Between these bays at 1st floor is a balcony with flat shaped balusters and wainscotting behind. Other bays use similar elements. Tiny circular light on the centre of the ridge. Right gable has a tiebeam and collar truss and considerable buff sandstone extensions to the rear. Interior: Much altered to bank's needs but 2 cast iron firebacks found in the restoration displayed in the banking hall. One is dated 1635 and with the arms of Charles I, and the other is late C17/C18, Dutch in origin. This building, replaced as vicarage by the Manor House (q.v.) in 1708, has a distinctive and lopsided appearance and forms the focal point of the village street.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.