You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 58462  

Print Page



© Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS

IoE Number: 58462
Location: ST MARY'S CHURCH, ROSTHERNE LANE (off)
  ROSTHERNE, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 September 2000
Date listed: 05 March 1959
Date of last amendment: 20 September 1984
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 78 SWROSETHERNE C.P.(Off) ROSTHERNE LANE3/87Church of St Mary(formerly listed as St

SJ 78 SW ROSETHERNE C.P. (Off) ROSTHERNE LANE 3/87 Church of St Mary (formerly listed as St 5.3.59 Mary's Church) G.V. I Church. C14 with C16 additions. Tower of 1742-4 by John Rowson and restoration and remodelling of chancel and vestry of 1888 by Sir Arthur William Blomfield. Sandstone with slate and lead roofs. Tower, nave with side aisles, chancel with side chapels and vestry. Tower to west end of 3 diminishing stages; south front has moulded plinth, then plain ashlar walling rising to height of nave ridge with 2 slit windows to left side. Heavy cyma-moulded string course with circular clock dial above. Band above. Venetian bell opening above this with louvres and impost band. Parapet ramps up at corners with vases to corners and centre. North front exactly similar save for absence of slit windows and bulls-eye window in place of clock dial. West front similar but has pedimented doorcase with keystone and fanlight arched window above this with 2 arched lights and central oculus at apex and hood mould above. South front: 4-bay nave with stone mullioned and transomed Perpendicular windows of 3 x 2 lights in rectangular chamfered, surround. South porch of c.1886. Buttresses between these with off-sets. 3 gabled timber dormers above, each of 3 cusped lights. Chancel has left-hand window of 4 arched lights above priests door. 5 x 2 light Perpendicular window to right similar to those in nave. Chantry chapel to right, slightly projecting with setback buttresses to left and 2 setback buttresses to right hand corner all with off-sets and surmounted by crocketed pinnacles. 2 Cl9 early Perpendicular windows with hood moulds. East front: blank wall to east front of south-east chantry chapel with shallow angled gable with cross at apex and crocketed pinnacles to offset buttresses. C19 decorated window to east end of chancel with steeper gable above and cross at apex. Diagonal buttress to north-east corner with arched door and 3-light_flerpendicular window to far left. swallow pitched gable to vestry with cross at apex. Slightly projecting chantry chapel with 3-light Perpendicular window similar to those on south front. Octagonal battlemented chimney to left hand gable. Nave of 4 bays to aisles with 3 to clerestory as on south front but here the clerestory is walled with a separate aisle roof instead of having dormer clerestory windows. 3 3-light Perpendicular windows to aisle with doorway to right with head moulding and hood mould. Clerestory windows are 3-light of Perpendicular format. Battlemented octagonal chimney to right. Interior: 4-bay nave with round Early English piers to north arcade, roll moulded bases and capitals and double chamfering to arches, the outer chamfering cusped. South arcade has octagonal columns taller than those on the north side, with capitals of stepped profile and double chamfered arches, here unstopped, C19 king-post roof with brattished ties. Chancel: 4 bays with octagonal piers to both sides. Monuments: C13 of a recumbent knight. Wall monument to Samuel Egerton by John Bacon, 1792, white and variegated grey marble. Central catafalque with sarcophagus above surmounted by a stunted obelisk with a flaming 2-handled lamp above. High relief figures of Hope with an anchor and Patience holding a book and standing complacently on a thorny branch. Excellently carved. Free-standing monument of Charlotte Lucy Beatrix Egerton by Richard Westmacott Jnr. 1845. Recumbent female figure on bed with winged angel kneeling over her, his hand outstretchedin blessing. Sources: Nickolaus Pevsner and Edward Hubbard The Buildings of England: Cheshire, London 1971 Raymond Richards Old Cheshire Churches, Manchester 1973.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.