You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 58467  

Print Page

© Mr R.G. Noxon

IoE Number: 58467
Location: TATTON HALL,
Photographer: Mr R.G. Noxon
Date Photographed: 30 June 2006
Date listed: 05 March 1959
Date of last amendment: 05 March 1959
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 7581TATTON C.P.TATTON PARK3/92Tatton Hall

SJ 7581 TATTON C.P. TATTON PARK 3/92 Tatton Hall 5.3.59 GV I House. 1780-1884. By Samuel Wyatt, Lewis Wyatt, G H Stokes and 2nd Baron Egerton of Tatton. Runcorn sandstone, ashlar, terracotta, with slate and lead roofs. 2 storeys with attic around central staircase hall. South front of 7 bays, 1:5:1. The 4 bays to the west built between 1780 and 1791 are of Samuel Wyatt's design and were originally intended as part of an 11-bay composition. The 3 bays to the east and the portico were of the new, truncated design by Lewis Wyatt built from 1808-1813. The centre has a giant Corinthian portico of 4 monolithic columns and responds. 2 end bays have tripartite windows separated by Ionic columns with segmental arches over and paterae in the tympana. 5 central bays have rectangular panels between 2 principal floors containing swags and paterae. Sash windows of 3 x 5 panes to ground floor with 2 of 1 x 5 panes on either side of end-bay windows. First floor windows all of 3 x 4 panes. All windows have slender glazing bars and recessed sash boxes. Decorated band immediately below first floor windows which continues around main block. Frieze and cornice above first floor windows, with architrave over portico and on East facade. North front is also of the 2 periods and of 7 bays in 1:5:1 rhythm; similar to south front but central bay has a pedimented porch to the ground floor with 2 columns of Tower of the Winds form. Lugged doorcase with achievement of arms above. Panels between floor in central 5 bays are blank. East front of 5 bays has a giant order of Corinthian pilasters rising from a slightly projecting plinth and having a full entablature starting immediately above the first floor windows. Attached to the west is the 2-storey Family Wing. The ground floor was built in 1780-91 by Samuel Wyatt. In 1810 Lewis Wyatt added a Tuscan colonnade to the south-front and in 1860 G H Stokes added the second floor and Ionic colonnade, verandah and balustrade. The terracotta smoking room at the extreme west is of 1884 by the 2nd Baron Egerton of Tatton as are the terracotta family entrance and chapel to the west of the North front. Interior: Dining room of 1760 by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard, at the south west corner of the main block, was incorporated into the new house by Samuel Wyatt. Rococo in feel with high-relief vine swags in the frieze, around the picture frames and in band of decoration to ceiling. Card Room at the north west corner (originally Mr Egerton's room) by Samuel Wyatt redecorated by Lewis Wyatt in the 1808-13 building. Simple neo-classical fireplace and cornice. Remaining rooms all by Lewis Wyatt. The Entrance Hall in the centre of the north front is internally all of Lewis's decoration: segmental ceiling with guilloche moulding to panel frames, paterae at junctions. 2 pairs of scagliola columns to the centre on line with the entrance door with Ionic capitals supporting transverse entablatured lintels, each having a Coade stone urn and 2 Coade stone gryphons painted in simulation of black marble. The Music Room (North East corner) decorated by Lewis Wyatt has a coved ceiling with central circular band of floral decoration. Large segment headed alcove in the North wall originally intended for an organ. Drawing Room (South East corner) with richly moulded pannelled ceiling with paterae. Library (south front). Mahogany bookcases to Lewis Wyatt's design. Ceiling and overmantels of early C20. The Staircase Hall forming the central East-west spine of the building is also of two builds but also decorated solely by Lewis. 2-storey rectangular western end with dogleg staircase with half landing, panelled ceiling, and large oval skylight with scalloped squinches. Eastern square end has occulus in ground floor ceiling with circular skylight to first floor ceiling above. Square balustrade to first floor landing. Upper rooms mostly altered and redecorated. Family wing; ground floor has spinal corridor plan. The original lower flight of the backstairs was replaced in the 1880's by an oak staircase including balusters, newel posts and some panelling brought from elsewhere and assembled to form an open newel staircase at the North Eastern corner of the family wing. Before the North front is a contiguous Entrance Court designed by the 2nd Baron Egerton of Tatton in 1884. Family entrance to west side - l½ storeys, blind arcaded in terracotta. Screen wall to east of ashlar and yellow brick with pedimented archway to garden on line with arch of porte cochere. Northern part of court outlined by wrought iron railings above a low ashlar wall bowing outwards from the house. Pair of rusticated gate piers opposite entrance porch with granite ball finials and wrought iron gates with armigerons cresting. Service wing to west of house continuing in line from family wing: large window to kitchen with iron tracery rising into gable and with a triangular head. Kitchen Court: outer wall English garden wall bond running in 1/4 circle from West to South. Colonnade along west wall of 13 bays. Ashlar and brick with wooden trusses and slate lean-to roof. Tuscan columns with entasis. Several of them monolithic with brick basket arches and relieving arches at north and south ends. Wooden moulded lintel above. Tatton Park belonged to the Egerton family from 1598 until 1958 when it was given to the National Trust who now administer it in conjunction with Cheshire County Council. Sources: George Ormerod - History of Cheshire London 1819. Arthur Oswald - Tatton Park Country Life, July 16, 23, 30, 1969. Nikolaus Pevsner and Edward Hubbard - The Buildings of England : Cheshire London 1971. Christopher Rowell - Tatton Park National Trust Guidebook 1982.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.