You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 59112  

Print Page



© Mr J M Pickering

IoE Number: 59112
Location: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, PEOVER HALL PARK
  PEOVER SUPERIOR, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr J M Pickering
Date Photographed: 21 November 2006
Date listed: 05 March 1959
Date of last amendment: 05 March 1959
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PEOVER SUPERIOR C.P.PEOVER HALL PARKSJ 77 SE5/73Church of St. Lawrence

PEOVER SUPERIOR C.P. PEOVER HALL PARK SJ 77 SE 5/73 Church of St. Lawrence 5 3 59 GV I Church. South chapel of 1456; North chapel probably of 1648; Tower of 1741 probably by J Garlive. Nave of 1811 by William Turner of Whitchurch. Ashlar walling with leaded roofs to north and south chapels. Red English garden wall bond with stone dressings and plain tile roof. Western tower, nave, northern and southern chapels. Southern chapel: Two bays, moulded plinth and string course, angle buttresses to corners with offsets. Central buttress widening at base where wall is thickened to accommodate tomb-recess inside building. Gargoyles over all 3 buttresses. Windows have transitional tracery, very shallow curve to sides of pointed arches and hood-moulds which have carved heads as label stops. Battlemented parapet. Porch to left of the same build with chamfered arch. Northern chapel: Plain ashlar lower walls. Three lunette windows to north wall and one each to east and west walls all with cyma-moulded reveal. Console cornice above and to pedimented gable ends which have plain tympana. Tower: Three stages. Stone plinth and quoins and bands between stages. West face: Central door With stone reveals and archway with projecting springers and keystone, now blocked with rubble to lower half and C19 stained glass above. Oculus to first floor stage with 4 keystones to top and bottom. Stone surround to arched belfry opening above with sunken panels to reveals and projecting keystone and springers to arch. Louvres to opening. String course above this. Parapet has stone piers to corners and centre of each side with stone finials and coping. C19 vestry to north side, south side similar save for pointed arch to left. Body of Church: Four bays, one Decorated 2-light window to left of the southern chapel and a canted bay to accommodate the organ to the right, both of late C19 date. Northern side has windows loosely based upon those of the south chapel with similarly shallow curves to arches. Interior: South Chapel: Two-bay arcade to nave, central octagonal pier with moulded base and capital supporting chamfered arches. Similar archway to porch now divided by C20 glazed screen. Tomb reveal to centre of south wall with 4-centered archway and ogee cresting with crockets. Alabaster effigies of Sir Randle and Lady Mainwaring, he in armour. C19 panelled roof replacing a truss roof for which figurehead corbels are now redundant. C19 screen to nave. North Chapel: Three-bay arcade to nave with semi-circular arches. Diamond-patterned alabaster floor. Pilaster strips with moulded bases and capitals between windows. Wooden strapwork ceiling with pendants and sunken diamond-shaped panel to centre with coat of arms in relief. Free-standing marble sarcophagus with effigies of Philip Mainwaring and his wife Ellen 1647 both lying in praying position, he in armour. Two alabaster tomb slabs to Philip Mainwaring and his wife, 1573 and Sir John Mainwaring and his wife, 1586. Nave: A replacement of the earlier body of the church with undivided nave and chancel. Replaced sarcophagus with recumbent praying effigies of John Mainwaring and his wife, 1410. The design of the tower is very similar in its details to that of the Church of St John Baptist, Knutsford (q.v.) by John Garlive and is attributed to him here for that reason. The north chapel of 1648, is one of the earliest regular classical buildings in the region. [Source:] Nicholas Pevsner & The Buildings of England: Cheshire, 1971. Edward Hubbard

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.