© Mr Brian Richards
ST IVE, CARADON, CORNWALL
Mr Brian Richards
06 September 2001
26 November 1985
Date of last amendment:
26 November 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SX 36 NW ST IVE ST IVE
Rectory, now private house. 1852-1854 by William White for Canon Reginald Hobhouse.
Stone rubble with red sand stone dressings. Steeply pitched slate roofs with gable
ends to main range. Cross wing on west beneath separate roof with gable ends. Gable
above main entrance on north east. Gabled roofs to dormers. Large stone rubble
stack to right of north east gable over entrance, slate hung stack to left of west
gable over kitchen, directly above second entrance and smaller stone stacks in ridge
and heightened with brick on south slope of west gable end. Plan basically
rectangular with service rooms in cross wing. Segregrated functions with family and
reception rooms facing south and east in main range on east. Housekeepers room and
butlers pantry on west of main range. Service rooms in cross wing on west. Gothic
vernacular style but not adapting traditional plan.
North elevation to road and entrance. 2 storeys basement and attic. Fenestration
complete with diamond leaded panes. To right, cross wing with 3 ogee head lights on
2 triangular tracery lights piercing the wall plane and without a hoodmould but with
a wide relieving arch above. 2-light mullioned window placed asymmetrically in
asymmetrical gable end above. Main range to left set slightly back. Entrance at
angle beneath pointed sand stone arch. Decorative slate-hung water tank added in
1908 above porch with gabled roof. To left, eye led towards gable over main
entrance. Small rectangular window to butlers pantry with larger window to left,
then single light with cusped heads, with stair window above in half-gabled dormer
with mullion and transom window with cusped heads. Beneath entrance gable, the door
is asymmetrically placed in a 2-centred arch with hoodmould. Pointed plank door with
strap hinges. Above, 1-light window with cusped head. Similar window in first floor
of east gable end.
Rear, south elevation. Ground floor with 3 pointed arched openings in main range, 2
with 8-pane sashes and central opening with replaced French windows. In tympanum
above rectangular frames, granite lintel. Mid C20 open porch over central openings.
Mid C20 bay window to right replacing elaborate original bow window remains of which
lie to the east in the garden. Above, two 3-light mullion windows, one 2-light
similar window and 1-light cusped window with trefoil head. Dormer windows in attic.
Crossing on left with 2-light mullion window in slate-hung asymmetrical gable end.
West elevation of cross wing with interesting roof line with roof swept down over
outshut. Rain water goods complete with castellated hoppers and simple, well
designed brackets to gutters. Bellcote in ridge on west with bell removed.
Interior; Shutters, doors, door frames and door furniture almost complete including
moulded timber door knobs to family rooms and metal door latches service rooms. Deep
skirting boards to reception rooms on ground floor with ovolo moulded edges. Glazed
terracotta tiles forming skirtings with moulded edge to main hall and corridor.
Glazed tiled floor to hall and corridors, timber floor to main reception rooms and
slate floors to service rooms. Drawing room on east with original chimney piece with
pointed moulded limestone arch with black marble shelf and brackets. Minton tiles.
Living room with replaced well-carved granite chimney piece. Study with simple
original limestone fireplace with painted arch with hollow chamfers and pyramid
stops. Mantlepiece on moulded brackets. Service rooms on west with dairy, buttery,
coal store and pantry. Dairy slightly below ground for coolness. Laundry with large
chimney piece. Internal well covered over. House keeper's room on south west with
bell holes. Simple chimney piece of bath stone with pointed arch. Simple shutters
and red and black tiled floor. Kitchen with large limestone chimney piece partly
blocked, chamfered arch with ogee stops. Lower stage of staircase removed after
attack of dry rot. Upper stages with closed string, square balusters stopped at top
and bottom. Square newels, also stopped with moulded finial below. Master bedroom
and dressing room on east illuminated partly by cusped single lights. Intersections
ceiling beams with heavy chamfers and ogee stops. Simple bath stone original chimney
piece with very small original chimney piece with pointed arch in dressing room.
Family bedrooms with chamfered ceiling beams and original chimney pieces Garret
bedrooms with very small, original chimney pieces of Bath stone with 2-centred
Retained by owner, 14 workingdrawings by William White, 1 Seymour Chambers, Adelphi,
Canon Reginal Eobiiouse (died 1895.) later Archdeacon Hobhouse was commemorated by the
erection of glass in the east window of parish church. (qv Church of St Ivo). His
daughter Emily (1860-1926) is revered in South Africa for her work in support of the
Boers. Buried in a VIP cemetry along with Smuts and has had a South African Submarine
named after her together with a set of South African Stamps in 1984.
Graham Daw; Source; William White at St Ive Cornish Buildings Group proceedings 1982.
Information from owner and previous owner.