© Mr Roger Norman
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE
LOSTWITHIEL, RESTORMEL, CORNWALL
Mr Roger Norman
30 March 2005
18 October 1949
Date of last amendment:
18 October 2049
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
LOSTWITHIEL CHURCH LANE, Lostwithiel
SX 15 NW
10/60 Church of St Bartholomew
Parish church. C13 tower, spire of early C14, the rest of later C14; the nave and
south aisle of one build, the north aisle and porch later C14. Clerestory windows
restored or renewed probably early C17. Vestry and substantial restoration of late
C19, with C20 repair to tower and chancel east window. Slatestone rubble with
granite and limestone dressings, base of tower in smaller random rubble. C19 slate
roofs with ridge coping tiles.
West tower, nave with unusually short chancel, which does not appear to have been
truncated; south aisle and south porch, north aisle and north porch; north vestry.
Tower in 3 stages with spire, with setback buttresses and buttresses to west; on the
ground floor a public way passed through from north to south until 1878. One west
buttress extends as far as the relieving arch from a former window at first stage.
To south, the ground floor has a 4-centred arched doorway with inner chamfered arch
and relieving arch, C19 double doors; above a tall chamfered lancet with relieving
arch, and similar lancet to north. To west, granite chamfered weatherings to tall
plinth, and to north, south and west similar weatherings to top of first stage.
Second stage has similar lancet each side, with limestone long and short quoins, set
back to top stage to north and south. The third stage is broached, with paired roll-
moulded lancets with slate louvres, clock to north and south and broached corners.
The broached corners recede to the alternate faces of the octagonal bell stage; each
face of the bell stage is gabled, has a stone finial and 2-light openings with a
panel of 4 quatrefoils at the centre and a quatrefoil in each gable. The stone
octagonal spire above has gabled lucarnes with finials and a weathervane over the
Nave and chancel in one, the east gable with large 5-light window with intersecting
tracery and 4-centred arched head; to north and south, 4 clerestory windows, each a
triple lancet with 2-centred arched heads.
South aisle of 4 bays, with porch in second bay from west; lean-to roof and
buttressess with slate weatherings. Three 3-light window with cusped lights and flat
heads, 2nd window from east of 4 lights with cinquefoil headed lights and flat head,
all of C19 restoration. The west end, a pointed arched C19 lancet, and 2 lancets
lighting the tower stair. To east, a 3-light window, with cusped lights, flat head,
hood mould and relieving arch, restored C19. 2 sepulchre recesses wall with wide
cambered arches; fixed above, a slate tablet to the Carnsews family, 1826. Fixed on
a buttress, a slate headstone with carved surround and central panel with admonitory
verse, to John Bolte, early C18.
South porch has hipped roof and limestone quoins. Wide 4-centred arched opening with
inner chamfered arch. Interior of porch has barrel vault roof with moulded cornice,
stone benches to sides, tall 4-centred arched inner doorway with jamb shafts
continued over head, hood mould with mask stops of the C19 restoration. Double
fielded panelled C18 doors. Rectangular recess in west wall and quatrefoil piscina
North aisle also of four bays with porch in corresponding position. All windows of 3
lights except 2nd from east of 4 lights, as on south aisle. To east, the aisle is
set back from the nave with chamfered buttress. Triple lancet to east, central light
taller, chamfered, possibly of C17 as on clerestory; taller relieving arch, from
earlier opening. West end of aisle enclosed by C19 vestry.
North porch on plinth with hipped roof. Outer irregular 4-centred-arched opening
with inner chamfered arch. Interior has similar roof with moulded cornice, stone
bench to left and granite sarcophagus set to right. Inner chamfered 4-centred arched
doorway with single 8-panelled and fielded door; remains of image niche above and
earlier relieving arch.
North vestry, single storey, in snecked rubble with parapet and coping. To west, 2
triple and one paired lancet. Parapet embattled with off-centred gable to north with
image niche in gable. 4-centred arched north door and 3-light window, single cusped
light to east.
Interior Nave and chancel have C19 wagon roof with moulded ribs and bosses, aisles
have C19 roofs with arched-braces and purlins. All walls plastered except piers of
the arcade. Nave has 5-bay arcade to north and south, with tall 4-centred chamfered
arches with inner chamfered arch, rising directly from octagonal dressed stone piers.
Clerestory windows have rere-arches. Chancel and aisles all have trefoil-headed
piscinas on south wall, of C19 rest restoration. Tower has Cl9 double doors with 4-
centred arch, single chamfered light above.
Fittings Font in south aisle, of outstanding quality; C14, limestone, octagonal, the
bowl with panels of carved figures, central shaft and 4 outer clustered shafts. Alms
box in south aisle, dated 1645, in the shape of a standing figure with a shield,
inscribed W T MAIER. Carved wooden pulpit on limestone base, dated 1880, in nave.
Late C19 pews in nave. Alabaster panel in south aisle showing flaying of St
Bartholomew. Stocks in south porch.
Monuments in chancel: marble classical monument with broken pediment and torch, to
William Bower, 1779; marble monument on slate ground with pilasters and urn, to
Thomas Hull, 1806; marble monument with urn, to Charles Monson, 1800; marble monument
on slate ground, with pilasters and urn, to William Luke, 1763. In north aisle:
marble monument on slate ground with urn, to Matilda Fortescue, 1801; brass of
Tristram Curteys, an esquire in armour, 1423; marble monument on slate ground with
urn, to William Fortescue, 1824; marble tablet on slate ground, with pediment and
acroterial ornaments, by Shepheard of Plymouth, to 4 daughters of the Spernon family,
from 1798; marble tablet on slate ground with pedimental top and wheatsheaf, to
Richard Lanyon, early C19. In south aisle: large granite ledger stone, with
inscription around border and central coat of arms, dated 1584; slate tablet on
window cill, with coat of arms, to a member of the Kendal family, 1579; Elizabethan
stone monument with ancient colour, with figures of the father, 5 sons and 3
daughters, all kneeling, with fluted Ionic pilasters and shield of arms; marble
tablet to Thomas Hext, 1822; marble tablet to John Hext, 1838; marble tablet on slate
ground with pilasters and urn, to Samuel Hext, 1800; marble tablet on slate ground
with pediment, to Elizabeth Hext, 1851; marble tablet with pediment, pilasters and
urn, to Jane Michell, 1824; marble tablet on slate ground with pediment and floral
pilasters, by Bedford of London, to Phillippa Westlake, 1850; marble tablet on slate
ground, to James Baron, 1807; marble tablet on slate ground, to Alfred Hurt, 1819.
Stained glass window in north aisle, showing Faith, Hope and Charity, by Willement.
(Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970)