You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 73864  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 73864
Location: ARMATHWAITE CASTLE,
  HESKET, EDEN, CUMBRIA
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 27 December 1967
Date of last amendment: 27 December 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CUMBRIAEDENNY 54 SWHESKETARMATHWAITE

CUMBRIA EDEN NY 54 SW HESKET ARMATHWAITE 3/140 Armathwaite Castle 27.12.67 II* Fortified house and extension. Probably mid C15 with late C17 or early C18 alterations; late C18 extension with late C19 alterations. Extremely thick red sandstone block walls, the facade of dressed calciferous sandstone, all with cornice and solid parapet. Double-span hipped graduated greenslate roof within parapet; banded red sandstone chimney stacks. Extension of dressed calciferous sandstone walls under Mansard tile roof with banded calciferous sandstone ashlar chimney stack. 2½ storeys over basement, 5 bays, with 2½-storey, 5-bay, left extension. Broad stone steps to central panelled and glazed door in quoined surround under keyed lintel with plain frieze and cornice. Later coat-of-arms of the Milbourne family over the entrance. Late C19 leaded casement windows in original stone surrounds; smaller attic sash windows with glazing bars in original stone surrounds. Straight joint in right return wall; the original medieval quoin stones with various masons' marks, suggest that the front of the house has been moved forward, but this is not altogether borne out by the thickness of the front basement wall. Windows similar to facade. Extension is of 2 builds, the right 3 bays earlier. Central stone steps to C20 door and overlight in stone surround. Casement windows in stone surrounds, and gabled attic dormer windows. Rear fenestration of 4 periods: blocked small chamfered-surround medieval windows; 2-light stone-mullioned windows with mullions removed; large C18 sash windows with glazing bars, and round-headed staircase windows, all in stone surrounds; some C20 windows in cement surrounds and plain reveals. Left return wall has small chamfered-surround medieval window, beside which is an C18 sash window in stone surround under a medieval relieving arch. Interior: no medieval features visible, apart from the splays of some windows, with masons' marks, and mural recesses thought to be the remains of newel staircases. Late C17 full-height oak staircase with heavy barley-twist balusters and moulded handrail. Some early C18 ceiling beams, moulded plaster cornices and fragments of panelling, otherwise altered after the 1939-45 war into a number of flats and now in the process of conversion back to one dwelling. Originally the land was granted in 1444 to John Skelton and passed to his son in 1461, his father having carried out building at great expense.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.