You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 80368  

Print Page



© Mr Roy Millett AFIAP, APAGB

IoE Number: 80368
Location: THE HALL, SMITHY LANE (north side)
  PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roy Millett AFIAP, APAGB
Date Photographed: 16 September 2003
Date listed: 05 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 05 February 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 18 54PARISH OF PARWICHSMITHY LANE10/97(North Side)5.2.1952The Hall

SK 18 54 PARISH OF PARWICH SMITHY LANE 10/97 (North Side) 5.2.1952 The Hall GV II* House. c1747, incorporating earlier fragments, c1910 and 1931. Rubble limestone and red brick with sandstone dressings. Hipped slate roofs, gabled to the north. Two brick ridge stacks, two gable end stacks and a brick external stack. Three storeys plus a basement. South elevation - brick with stone dressings, the main block above a stone basement. Main block of five bays, the centre bay advanced. Projecting quoins to central bay and to outer bays. Moulded stone eaves cornice. Basement with four 2-light square section flush mullion windows. Ground floor with central doorway with moulded stone surround, coving and rusticated pilasters and cornice. Six-panelled door, the top four panels raised and fielded. Rectangular overlight with fanlight tracery. Curved flight of nine stone steps with wrought iron railings. Flanked on each side by two windows with segmental heads and moulded stone surrounds. C19 casement. Five similar, but smaller, windows above and above again. The central first floor window with a pediment. Central pedimented gable flush with the main wall surface and slightly wider than the centre bay. Service wing to the west, of three bays. Ground and first floor c1905, three plain sashes to ground floor, segmental arched casement windows above. Top floor added in 1931 with three windows with flat heads, with stone lintels and sills. East elevation of four bays with windows similar to those on the south side. The windows to the two left hand bays are all blocked. North elevation - rubble limestone with two brick gables of low pitch. Irregular fenestration, including a tall round-arched glazing bar sash with moulded stone surround. Above, a glazing bar sash with stone surround, of which the upper half is the remains of a C17 2-light recessed chamfer mullion window. In the basement in what are now internal walls, are two 2-light recessed chamfer mullion windows; also a chimney lintel dated TS 1792. Interior mainly late C18 and early C19. Late C18 chimneypiece in the dining room. Very fine mid-C18 chimneypiece in hall, and a good contemporary staircase.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.