© Mrs Jean M. King C.P.A.G.B.
CHURCH OF ST MARY,
UPTON PYNE, EAST DEVON, DEVON
Mrs Jean M. King C.P.A.G.B.
18 September 2002
30 June 1961
Date of last amendment:
25 October 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
UPTON PYNE UPTON PYNE VILLAGE
SX 99 NW
3/56 The Parish Church of Our Lady
30.6.61 (Formerly listed as Church of St Mary)
Parish church. Mainly C14 and C15 with restorations and alterations by Ware (1833)
and William White (1874-5). Local volcanic trap, Thorverton stone. West tower,
nave of 3 bays, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, north chancel vestry
and organ chamber. Exterior: some C13 chancel wall masonry. Fine west tower of
the last quarter of C14 with pronounced diagonal buttresses with concave
weathering, south-east half-octagonal stair-turret, 3-light Perpendicular west
window and moulded west doorway, large 2-light bell openings with transoms; parapet
and pinnacles replaced in 1874-5. The tower is notable for its statuary; King
David in the stair turret, crowned, holding a staff with a lamb at his feet; Christ
in Benediction over west window; and above diagonal buttresses at the angles of the
parapet, the Four Evangelists. All under cusped and finialed niche canopies. The
figures are of high quality and stylistically related to the late-C14 work on the
west front of Exeter cathedral. South aisle and east windows, mid-C15, 3-light
perpendicular but still with definite ogival forms. 2 roughly contemporary (though
coarser) 2-light perpendicular windows in south chancel wall. North aisle rebuilt
by Ware with two 3-light perpendicular windows which are archaeologically sound
for their date. Internally: chancel arch, C13, low narrow, double-chamfered, the
inner order dying into responds. Tall tower arch with shallow moulding. Arcades:
south original moulded bases, Pevsner B-type piers, heavy foliated capitals, the
east and west piers elaborated with panels of shields and fleurons. North arcade
piers rebuilt by Ware, arches by White, the medieval capitals retained. South
windows retain reveals, those in chance crude, semi-circular with hollow chamfer.
Late-medieval ringing chamber roof, with C18 balusters to tower-arch gallery.
White's restoration through and sensitive: his organ chamber connected to both
north aisle and chancel by moulded arches, the 1833 east aisle window moved east, a
medieval sanctuary north window retained (3-light Perpendicular). The setting-up
of a diagonal spatial movement (so beloved by White) is reinforced by his squeezing
of a low, narrowly-pointed arch between the east most pier of south arcade and
chancel arch wall, into which space is fitted the pulpit. Also White's are the
roofs, varied and effective. Interior render. Incised pattern suggests that White
envisaged a total decorative scheme of which only tiles and furnishings were
executed. Sanctuary refitted by R M Fulford (1887); a good reredos framing on C18
Italian painting of the Last Supper. Monuments: 2 early-C16 tomb recesses in
south-east wall of south aisle which together with a piscina probably represent the
Pyne/Larder chantry chapel. 1 with recumbent armed figure of Edmund Larder (d.
1521), his feet on a dog, head on helm, his heraldic arms displayed on an
epaulette, all under 4-headed segmented arch, and framed by clumsy pinnacles, tomb
chest decorated with shields in quadrants. The other recess similar but coarser in
execution. South aisle, south-east, Lucie Stafford (d. 1693), mural monument,
black tablet, Corinthian columns to each side, white broken pediment containing
heraldic arms. Glass: German fragments dated 1630 in south aisle, south east
window. East by Ward & Hughes, north aisle (organ chamber) east, Hardman to Pugin
design; north aisle, west by Drake.
Main sources: Pevsner, p 303; Devon C19 Churches Project; Sir John Stratford
Northcote, Notes on the Parish Church of Upton Pyne (London, n.d., circa 1890).