You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 115482  

Print Page

© Mr Brian Martin LRPS

IoE Number: 115482
Photographer: Mr Brian Martin LRPS
Date Photographed: 10 August 2003
Date listed: 13 March 1986
Date of last amendment: 13 March 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 7614 and TL 7615TERLINGMILL LANE8/134 and 10/134The WindmillII

TL 7614 and TL 7615 TERLING MILL LANE 8/134 and 10/134 The Windmill II Smock mill, now a dwelling, and attached house. Early C19, altered in C20. Mill, timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, with fabric-covered cap. House, timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with slate. Mill octagonal, with house extending to NW, and C20 wing to NE, forming an L-plan. Mill of 5 storeys and cap, house of 2 storeys. The ground floor of the mill is plastered, with one C20 casement on each of 6 sides and a C20 door to the SE. The remainder is weatherboarded, with 4 C20 casements on each floor, and 2 loading doors on the first floor. Stocks, sails and fantail gear. Ball finial on cap. SW elevation of house, 3-window range of C20 casements. C20 door. Low-pitched roof. The mill is reported to have been built in Cressing c.1770, and removed to Terling c.1825 (A. Hills, Four Essex Windmills, Essex Review, XXXIV, 1930, 84) but no confirmation of this has been traced. Internally, there are structural indications of various alterations, and dismantling and re-erection is a possibility. The mill was present in Terling in c.1818, initially designed for grinding bark, and altered to corn milling soon afterwards. It worked until 1960, and was the last working windmill in Essex. The machinery has been removed, but was fully recorded. (K. Farries, Essex Windmills, Millers and Millwrights, I, 1981, 62, 69-70, II, 1982, 65-8, and V forthcoming).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.