© Mr Geoffrey Farrow
THE WINDMILL, THE HILL (north east side)
CRANBROOK, TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT
Mr Geoffrey Farrow
20 August 2002
09 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
19 May 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CRANBROOK THE HILL
TQ 7735 NE
Cranbrook or Union
9.6.52 Windmill (formerly listed
as The Windmill)
Smock Mill. 1814 by Henry Dobell. Painted brick base with timeber framed and
weatherboarded structure above and timber framed and weatherboarded boat-shaped
cap. Wooden sweeps and fantail. 3 storey base and 3 storey upper structure.
Scattered fenestration in both upper and lower parts with various entrances
and granary doors. Encircling platform above base of wood on iron braces with
iron railing. Machinery intact and in working order; still in use as a mill,
though more often milling by electricity than by wind-power.