© Mr Geoffrey Farrow
STYLE PLACE BREWERY, COURT LANE
HADLOW, TONBRIDGE AND MALLING, KENT
Mr Geoffrey Farrow
17 April 2002
19 February 1990
Date of last amendment:
19 February 1990
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
HADLOW COURT LANE
TQ 64 NW
6/60 Maltings approx 10m south west
- of The Old Farmhouse, Style
Disused maltings and brewery. Late C19, built for the Simmons brewery.
Flemish bond brick on ragstone foundations, parts (particularly the
distribution sheds) use decorative polychrome brickwork; slate roof to the
maltings and brewery, peg-tile roof to the distribution sheds.
Plan: The maltings and brewery is built on a south east - north west axis.
It is the main core of the brewery although it once extended short distances
further each end. The demolished south eastern end was probably a loading
shed since there is evidence of loading hatches and hoists in the existing end
wall. A wing of distribution sheds projects at right angles to rear of the
The brewery/maltings is 2 storeys with storage bins in the attics and barrel
cellar in the basement. The distribution sheds are mostly 2 storeys.
Exterior: The south west facing long side has regular but not symmetrical
fenestration. 7 ground floor windows with segmental arch heads and 4 first
floor windows, all original horizontal sliding 8-pane sashes. Left of centre
are loading hatch doorways to both floors. The ground floor one onto a
loading platform and the first floor one has a cast iron girder for a hoist.
Another first floor loading hatch near the right end. The roof is gable.
ended. End walls include parts of former internal brick crosswalls and are
otherwise clad with corrugated iron. Rear has similar fenestration to the
The distribution sheds are more ornamental. Originally there were 3 under
parallel roofs but the outer (north eastern) shed was demolished after a fire.
They face north westwards. Each gabled bay contains a large doorway (both
rebuilt in the C20). 4 first floor windows with segmental arch heads. The
right shed windows are louvred, the left shed (formerly in the centre) are
blind. Bullseye window in right gable and round clock face in left gable.
Both gables have ornamental bargeboards shaped like a Vitruvian scroll and
with timber finials and pendants. Rear elevation uses polychrome brick and
all the first floor windows here are louvred.
Interior: The basement has ragstone walls, paved floor including drainage
channels and brick vaulted ceiling supported on cast iron columns. Rest of
the building has plain heavy scantling carpentry. The ground floor is 8-bays
with massive crossbeams, each propped by 2 iron columns. First floor ceiling
beams are the roof truss tie-beams. The tie-beams of the south eastern 4 bays
are carried on massive axial beams. These and the other tie-beams are
supported on iron columns. Roof of tie-beam and queen post construction. The
trusses divide the attic space into storage bins and a couple are still lined
with matchwood planks.
The maltings and brewery is the largest building on the site which includes
other ancillary buildings and the Old Farmhouse, Style Place (q.v.).
According to the owners researches, Style Place Brewery was run by the Simmons
and Martin partnership between 1852-1902. An inventory of 1863 gives details
of the brewery equipment, lists 13 public houses in the area owned by the
brewery and the farms concerned were Style Place and Boormans Farm.