You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268306  

Print Page



© Miss Rose Hubbard

IoE Number: 268306
Location: THE ABBEY HOUSE, KITE LANE (west side)
  DITCHEAT, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Miss Rose Hubbard
Date Photographed: 20 August 1999
Date listed: 25 February 1988
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DITCHEAT CPKITE LANE (West side)ST623516/99The Priory(Previously listed as The AbbeyHouse)

DITCHEAT CP KITE LANE (West side) ST6235 16/99 The Priory (Previously listed as The Abbey House) 2.6.61 GV II* Rectory, subsequently a house. 1473, for John Gunthorpe, Rector of Ditcheat, Dean of Wells, and Lord Privy Seal; altered 1667 for Christopher Coward; refacaded with internal rearrangements 1864-8, probably by James Piers St. Aubyn, for Rev. William Lier. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges, stone-tiled roofs, large stone finials, tall polygonal ashlar stacks in groups of 2, 3 and 4. Hall house with later changes, now forming an L-plan; Tudor-Gothick style. Two storeys and attic, 1:1:1:1:1 bays; second and fourth bays with small triangular gables to attic, first and fifth bays under shaped gables; 2 and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, arched and cusped heads, labels; one with carved heads as stops; canted 2-storied bay window to left, pierced parapet with quatrefoils bogus datestones; single-storeyed canted bay window to right, pierced parapet. Canted embattled oriel over door opening, which is to fourth bay, windows with ornamental glazing bars. Door opening with 4-centred arch head, label, paired ribbed doors. Two blocked windows in right end elevation are early with cusped heads. Rear elevations with remains of C15 detail including windows. Interior predominantly of 1868 in elaborate Gothic style, incorporating some reused material including part of the rood screen brought from the parish church of St Mary (q.v.) in 1868, some original C15 and C17 work remains, coffered ceilings, a stained glass window, and an arch-braced roof to the "chapel wing". (Chancellor C., The History of the Priory Ditcheat, l980 Photographs in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.