You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268827  

Print Page



©  Barry Lane

IoE Number: 268827
Location: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, THE SQUARE (west side)
  SHIPHAM, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Barry Lane
Date Photographed: 05 September 1999
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST45NWSHIPHAM CPTHE SQUARE (West side)2/168Church of St Leonard9.2.61

ST45NW SHIPHAM CP THE SQUARE (West side) 2/168 Church of St Leonard 9.2.61 GV II Anglican parish church. 1843 by J Wilson of Bath. Coursed and squared rubble, slate roof, coped verges, "Gothic" Nave; small chancel embatted tower at south-west corner incorporating a porch to ground floor, tall bell chamber windows to hexagonal upper stage. gargoyles probably reused from earlier structure. Three bay nave, 2-light windows with simple tracery; 3-light east window, reticulated tracery. Galleried interior, elaborate arch-braced roof. Reredos appears reused from a C15 hood screen; 2 early C19 wall monuments; 3 C18 chairs; stained glass in north window of nave commemorates Hannah More.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.