You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269752  

Print Page

© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 269752
Location: ST MARGARET'S, HAMILTON ROAD (north side)
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 22 April 2003
Date listed: 04 June 1952
Date of last amendment: 04 July 1975
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HAMILTON ROAD 1. 5365 (North Side) St Margaret's Leper Hospital (formerly listed as St Margaret's) ST 2324 NE 13/12 4.6.52. II* 2. Early leper hospital rebuilt in early C16. Converted and occupied as almshouses 1612-1938. Restored by Rural Community Council and occupied by them since 1959. Long freestanding single storey building. Mostly of local shillet stone, now whitewashed. Thatched roof with attic rising to right. Thatch eaves on scrolled wrought-iron brackets to rear. Brick stack to right gable, stone parapet to left gable end. New oak supports to front verandah. Singele and double leaded lights under wooden lintels. Original oak doorframes with Tudor arched lintels. On front is a stone tablet with the arms of Abbot Bere of Glastonbury, the original restorer of the building.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.