You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 279659  

Print Page



© Mr T. P. C. Bramer

IoE Number: 279659
Location: POST MILL, MILL HILL
  FRAMSDEN, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr T. P. C. Bramer
Date Photographed: 01 February 2005
Date listed: 09 December 1955
Date of last amendment: 09 December 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

FRAMSDENMILL HILLTM 15 NE4/40Post Mill9.12.55

FRAMSDEN MILL HILL TM 15 NE 4/40 Post Mill 9.12.55 GV II* Post mill. Circa 1760. Modernised 1836, when the mill was raised and the roundhouse built (dated on a brick). Restored 1966-73. Timber framed and weatherboarded buck of 3 floors with a felted roof. 2-storey red brick roundhouse. Winding was by means of a fantail mounted above the steps: the fan carriage has been restored but the fantail is dismantled and stored inside the mill. One pair of patent sails remains. Machinery mainly dates from 1836 modernisation (by John Whitmore of Wickham Market) but the brakewheel is the original, modified to clasp-arm construction. Windshaft, upright shaft, wallower and spurwheel all of cast iron; stone nuts cast iron with wooden cogs. 2 pairs of underdriven millstonbs in the breast. The sack hoist was driven off a pulley mounted behind the brakewheel. Buck extended to rear in late C19 to accommodate a flour dresser, the drive taken off the brakewheel by a skew gear mounted on a layshaft. A good example of the C19 modernisation of an older post mill, still retaining much of the C18 structure today.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.