You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 280073  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 280073
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 27 September 1955
Date of last amendment: 27 September 1955
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for the Following: SYLEHAM Wingfield Road TM 27 NW 5/124 - Post Mill 27.9.55 -- II The discription shall be amended to read: Corn Windmill. Built 1730 at Earsham Street; moved to present position in 1823; damaged in storm of October 1987. Roundhouse of clay lump, plastered and tarred with boarded conical roof; part of timber-framed buck remains above. Circular roundhouse with rectangular-plan buck. East Suffolk postmill. Two-storey round- house; buck formerly of 3 storeys. Roundhouse has two boarded hatches with boarded doors below; ladder to buck, formerly turned by six-bladed fantail now missing. Interior of roundhouse: brick piers and crosstrees to bottom storey; full-height stop-chamfered post with quarter bars to buck; two pairs of engine-driven millstones on a hursting complete with tuns,horses, hoppers etc.. ------------------------------------ SYLEHAM WINGFIELD ROAD TM 27 NW 5/124 Post Mill - 27.9.55 -- II Post mill, now derelict. Built 1730 at Earsham Street, Wingfield and moved to its present site c.1823. Last worked by wind 1954. Timber framed and weatherboarded buck with 3 floors on a 2-storey roundhouse of flint and clay lump, rendered and tarred. Remains of 2 patent sails, their shutters now stored inside the mill. Formerly winded by a fantail (now missing). Machinery intact; includes cast iron windshaft on which are mounted wooden clasp-arm head and tail wheels, each driving a pair of millstones via stone nuts. The head stones have been removed. A further pair of stones in the roundhouse was driven by a small oil engine in an adjoining shed.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.