© Mr Kenneth D'Maurney-Gibbons
STANTON UPTHORPE WINDMILL UNDER GENERAL, UPTHORPE ROAD
STANTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Mr Kenneth D'Maurney-Gibbons
26 April 2007
10 June 1970
Date of last amendment:
27 September 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TL 97 SE STANTON UPTHORPE ROAD
3/52 Upthorpe Windmill
10.6.70 (Formerly listed as Stanton
Upthorpe Windmill under
Post windmill. Dated 1807; restored 1939 but now derelict. Timber framed and
weatherboarded buck with roof clad in iron sheeting; low red brick roundhouse.
Remains of 2 patent sails; steps and fantail supports at rear, the fantail
blades removed 1969 and stored inside the mill. The machinery is intact and
includes wooden clasp-arm brakewheel with iron teeth mounted on a wooden
windshaft; iron wallower and iron spurwheel with wooden cogs mounted on a
wooden upright shaft; 2 pairs of underdriven mill stones in the breast;
tentering system and sack hoist complete. A third pair of belt-driven stones
in the tail were removed in 1939. Scheduled Ancient Monument (County No.136).