You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 289974  

Print Page

© Mr Dominic Cole

IoE Number: 289974
Photographer: Mr Dominic Cole
Date Photographed: 08 October 1999
Date listed: 07 February 1972
Date of last amendment: 07 February 1972
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ABINGER C.P.ABINGER LANETQ 14NWAbinger Common4/7Goddards7/2/72

ABINGER C.P. ABINGER LANE TQ 14NW Abinger Common 4/7 Goddards 7/2/72 GV II* Country House. Built 1899 as a "Home of Rest for Ladies of Small Means" by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Sir Frederick Mirrielees, extended and altered into a private dwelling by Lutyens in 1910 for Mrs D Mirrielees. Colourwashed rough- cast with brick and stone dressings, plain tiled hipped and gabled roofs with courses of Horsham slabs over the eaves to the rear. U-shaped plan around quadrangle with arms splayed apart, the original common room connecting across the arms North-South, western ends of the arms built in 1910. Two storeys with very tall brick stacks to ends under corbelled tops, elaborate coupled diagonal stacks on ends of wings with tiled offsets and stringcourse decoration. Entrance Elevation (to the East):- Virtually symmetrical with single storey wings projecting to ends, paired diagonal stacks to left and right and two gables to centre; two storeys in gables. Brick dressed and mullioned leaded casement fenestration with chamfered surrounds, one 4-light window on first floor of each gable, smaller two-light windows on ground floor. Two small windows on end wings and hip-roofed dormer to left over door. Panelled, studded and part glazed door in round arched brick quoined and keystoned surround. Square panel above in quoined brick surround with stone plaque. Left hand return front (South):- Cat- slide roof over skittle alley to right with two hip-roofed dormers above. Square brick bay to left rising through two floors. Right hand return front (North:- Two dormers to left, roughcast clad square bay to right with brick upper window range. Rear (West):- Small Horsham slab roof dormer to left. Two angle bay brick windows under deep continuous eaves, six mullioned and transomed lights each. Round arched entrance to left in angle with keystone rising up to cambered relieving arch. Interior:- Private skittle alley along south side with white walls and round brick arches over. Original wooden skittle rack and balls. Large brick stone and oak inglenooks in end rooms of wings, original staircases and extensive high quality oak frame in central hall range. Garden terraces laid out by Gertrude Jekyll and survive almost intact. HOUSES AND GARDENS By E. L. LUTYENS: L. WEAVER (1913) Antique Collectors Edn. (1981) pp.35-41 figs 62-73. BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971): NAIRN & PEVSNER p.86.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.