You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 302431  

Print Page



© Mrs Chris Dawson LRPS

IoE Number: 302431
Location: JACK, MILL LANE
  CLAYTON, MID SUSSEX, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mrs Chris Dawson LRPS
Date Photographed: 22 July 2000
Date listed: 28 October 1957
Date of last amendment: 28 October 1957
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CLAYTONMILL LANE5405Clayton Windmills andthe Millhouse attachedTQ 31 SW 23/4528.10.57

CLAYTON MILL LANE 1. 5405 Clayton Windmills and the Millhouse attached TQ 31 SW 23/45 28.10.57 II* 2. Two complete windmills, the remains of a third and the millhouse adjoining. The 2 complete windmills are always known as "Jack and Jill". "Jill" is the older and dates from 1821. This is a post mill that was moved to this site from Dyke Road, Brighton, about 1850. Round house of tarred weather-boarding. Roof and breasts covered with sheets of metal. Sweeps without shutters. Fantail missing. Machinery intact. "Jack" is a tower mill dating from 1866. It is built of brick, faced with metal plates, tarred. Gallery above ground floor. Beehive cap with finial. Framework for the fantail complete. Main sweeps missing. The roof construction is a skilful example of a spheroid framing covering. "Jack" is joined to the adjoining mid C19 millhouse of one storey, which is stuccoed, and to the ground floor of a third mill, older than "Jill" which was called Duncton mill. This is the round house of a mid C18 post mill taken down in 1866. All 3 together are occupied as a dwellinghouse.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.