You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 369263  

Print Page



© Mr Adam Watson

IoE Number: 369263
Location: SADLER'S WELLS THEATRE, ROSEBERY AVENUE (north side)
  ISLINGTON, ISLINGTON, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Adam Watson
Date Photographed: 13 May 2006
Date listed: 29 December 1950
Date of last amendment: 29 December 1950
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ISLINGTONTQ3182NWROSEBERY AVENUE635-1/68/741(North side)

ISLINGTON TQ3182NW ROSEBERY AVENUE 635-1/68/741 (North side) 29/12/50 Sadler's Wells Theatre GV II Theatre. Located at junction of Rosebery Avenue and Arlington Way. 1930, but with some historic fabric from previous theatres retained (most of front to Arlington Way); by F. G. M. Chancellor; reliefs by Hermon Cawthra, Sculptor. 1938, additions and improvements; by Stanley Hall and Easton and Robertson. 1959, accoustical alterations to pit and proscenium; by Hope Bagenal. Various other piecemeal additions throughout C20 including extra storey to Rosebery Avenue front. Red brick, banded stone ground-floor main elevation, stone panels and dressings; various roofs obscured. Simple, restrained Neo-Georgian manner. Entrance foyer plan to Rosebery Avenue. Secondary entrance to left-hand return wall (originally separate entrance to pit). Stage door entrance to far right bay in Rosebery Avenue. Entrance facade of two storeys; 3-window range. Canopy. INTERIOR: : has suffered alterations to pit and proscenium (frieze over it by Cawthra depicting A Midsummer Night's Dream-covered over or removed). The size of stage was modelled on that of the Old Vic so that scenery could easily be transferred. Other alterations have included the adaptation of seats for use as a royal box, and a series of extensions to the dressing rooms, stage facilities and new wardrobe rooms. To rear stalls beneath floor, are remains of old wells from which the theatre takes its name. (Historians File, English Heritage, London Division: 1990-; Mander, Raymond and Mitchenson, Joe: The Theatres of London: London: 1975-: 273-279).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.