You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379207  

Print Page

© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS

IoE Number: 379207
Photographer: Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 October 1999
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 04 March 1977
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5673SECLIFTON DOWN, Clifton901-1/7/749(West side)

BRISTOL ST5673SE CLIFTON DOWN, Clifton 901-1/7/749 (West side) 04/03/77 Clifton Observatory II* Former windmill, now camera obscura. C18. Camera and extension of 1828 and 1835 by a Mr West. Carboniferous limestone rubble with limestone dressings, lead roof to tower, roofless side block. Single-depth plan. 3-stage round tower with single-storey; 4-window side block. The battered tower has a first-floor casement window, and tall, moulded brackets to a rendered top storey containing the camera obscura with crenellations and casements in the embrasures. Tudor-arched doorway to the roofless side block, which has a curved end and 2 segmental-headed windows; the rear has two 4-centre arched rear windows with torus mouldings and casements with margin panes, and paired right-hand 2-light windows. INTERIOR: a winder stair up to the camera obscura in the roof, and down into a tunnel leading to Ghyston's Cave, in the side of the gorge. HISTORICAL NOTE: the windmill was damaged by fire in 1777. William West leased the mill for conversion into an observatory in 1828. In 1835 he was granted an extra piece of land adjacent to the tower on which he built a new astronomical observatory with a revolving dome and telescope "to allow unrestricted observation of the heaven". Next to this was a large room with various astronomical maps, globes and instruments, intended for occasional use as a lecture room. The tower was also altered in 1835, by the rebuilding of the wooden balcony in store and the fitting of the camera obscura. West also excavated an underground passage to Ghyston's Cave, opened 1837. (Chilcott: History of Bristol: Bristol: 1844-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.