© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
KING EDWARD VII UPPER SCHOOL, GLOSSOP ROAD (south side)
SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
16 April 2001
28 June 1973
Date of last amendment:
12 December 1995
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK3386NE GLOSSOP ROAD
784-1/27/378 (South side)
28/06/73 King Edward VII Upper School
(Formerly Listed as:
King Edward VII Grammar School)
Wesleyan Proprietary grammar school, now upper school.
1837-38, with early and late C20 alterations. By William
Flockton for the Wesleyan Methodist community. Ashlar, with
hipped and gabled slate roofs with 2 ridge and single side
wall stacks. Classical Revival style.
EXTERIOR: rusticated basement, string course and sillband,
eaves cornice and blocking course. 2 storeys plus basement; 25
window range. Windows are glazing bar sashes.
Projecting pedimented centre, 7 windows, with 8 giant
Corinthian columns and elaborate divided steps flanked by low
walls. Under the portico, 12 pane sashes on each floor, with
central corniced doorcase, glazed double doors and overlight.
On either side, a wing with six 12 pane sashes and above, six
9 pane sashes. Basement has five 12 pane sashes, flanked on
the outer side by double doors with overlights. At each end, a
square projection with angle pilasters, fronted by a
pedimented portico with 4 Corinthian columns and 3 windows.
The basement has a central double door flanked by 12 pane
sashes. Plain returns, 5 windows. Symmetrical rear has a
pedimented central projection flanked by 2 storey wings, 3
windows. Beyond, 2 storey hipped wings with central
round-headed windows flanked by tall 12 pane sashes. Beyond
again, pedimented wings, 3 windows, with angle pilasters.
INTERIOR has central pilastered entrance hall with side
passages defined by 8 wooden Corinthian columns and modillion
cross beam ceiling. To right, a doorway with enriched cornice
on brackets. To left, a cantilever dogleg stone stair with
cast-iron balustrade and ramped scrolled handrail. Opposite
the entrance, former chapel, now assembly hall, with glazed
screens and doorways. Panelled cross beam ceiling and
semi-octagonal gallery on round piers. At the front, a
semicircular arch with flanking pilasters and keystone,
containing organ on gallery. On either side, a fielded 6-panel
door. At either end of the corridor, an open well concrete
stair with iron balustrade.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built by the local Wesleyan community led by
Samuel Dousland Waddy, as the Wesleyan Proprietary Grammar
School, in competition with the Church of England's Sheffield
Collegiate School (qv), opened in 1837. The 2 schools
amalgamated in 1884. This building is an exceptionally large
and ambitious design for its period.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 461; King Edward VII School-The Pages
of History: Cooke D et al: Sheffield: 1989-).