You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 468201  

Print Page

© Mr George Wolfe

IoE Number: 468201
Photographer: Mr George Wolfe
Date Photographed: 28 November 2006
Date listed: 13 March 1951
Date of last amendment: 13 March 1951
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BAKEWELLSK2168SOUTH CHURCH STREET831-1/4/166(North side)

BAKEWELL SK2168 SOUTH CHURCH STREET 831-1/4/166 (North side) 13/03/51 Church of All Saints GV I Church, originally of collegiate status. C12 and C13 possibly incorporating some Saxon masonry; C14 and C15 additions; tower and transepts rebuilt 1841-52 by William Flockton of Sheffield who replicated the medieval design; nave arcades replaced 1852 by Weightman and Hadfield of Sheffield; chancel restored 1879-82 by Gilbert Scott the younger. North vestry 1897; most roofs C20. MATERIALS: ashlar sandstone; lead roofs. PLAN: cruciform plan having south porch to 4-bay aisled nave, 3-bay south transept with chapel in east aisle, 3-bay chancel and one-bay north transept adjoined by low north vestry. Embattled throughout. EXTERIOR: nave: offset buttresses flank C12 west door with 2 orders of colonnettes, beakhead ornament and saltire crosses; fragmentary blind arcading above has chevrons. C15 3-light west window having C19 Geometrical tracery and hoodmould. C15 south porch with diagonal buttresses, double-chamfered arch and hoodmould beneath niche; C18 oval sundial to right. Unrestored C13 inner door with dogtooth ornament. Restored C13 north door. Perpendicular clerestory lit by square-headed 2- and 3-light windows; arms of Vernon and Pype on south parapet; insignia of Thomas Haywood to north. South transept: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets and gablets with fleur-de-lys. 2 south doors with clustered colonnettes beneath cusped roundel and embellished pointed arch. 4-light window over has Geometrical tracery; outer shafts rise from carved heads; hoodmould returns as a string course; octagonal corner pinnacles. West side with pilaster buttresses and lancets with hoodmoulds; carved string course beneath 3 trefoils. Lean-to east chapel with more elaborate buttresses and Decorated tracery to 3-light windows with hoodmoulds. North transept: Perpendicular 3-light window to east; 3-light window to north with Geometrical tracery; gable cross. Vestry: diagonal buttresses and central north buttress; square-headed windows of 2 and 3 lights having cusped ogee heads. Tower: octagonal belfry has string course beneath louvred 2-light openings; moulded oversailing course with gargoyles beneath embattled parapet behind which rises the octagonal spire with weather-vane. Chancel: buttresses between bays, to the angles and to centre of east end. South-west window obscured by east chapel of south transept. Priest's door with 2-centred arch, colonnettes and hoodmould. String course with gargoyles; cross to east parapet. Restored C13 Y-tracery windows to the chancel and nave aisles. INTERIOR: C12 round arches to short west bay of nave, also similar blind arches in the west walls of the aisles; some walling above the arches may be Saxon. Remaining aisle arcades of 1852 with round piers, octagonal capitals and cavetto-moulded arches. Crossing: restored 1841-43 with tall arches having filleted shafts and colonnettes; ribbed vault. South transept (known as the Newark) c1220-1240 rebuilt 1841-52: arcade to Vernon Chapel with quatrefoiled piers having shafts in the diagonals; deeply-moulded arches. Chancel: late C13 sedilia and double piscina under linked hoodmoulds. Windows have nook shafts and rere arches. Mosaic floor of c1880. C14 octagonal font with cusped arches over whole figures. Near the font are parts of 3 medieval misericords; Royal Arms of Charles II dated 1678 and an early C19 board listing church fees. FITTINGS: stone pulpit. Brass eagle lectern. Altar and reredos in north transept by Sir Ninian Comper. Chancel woodwork of 1879-82 incorporates some medieval fragments. Canopied choir stalls; misericords and carved panels in niches adjoining the screen. Altarpiece with Crucifixion, woodcarving by Kuchemann of Battersea, 1882. Screen to Vernon Chapel C14 modified C17. Organ by Brindley and Foster of Sheffield 1883; resited and enlarged 1954, rebuilt 1989. Newark screen of 1983. In the north aisle a C15 oak parish chest and a Church Warden's Safe of 1814. MONUMENTS: of particular note the small alabaster wall monument to Sir Godfrey Foljambe and wife c1377 (east end of south aisle). Vernon Chapel: to Sir Thomas Wendesley d.1403 lying in armour on a later base. Small alabaster tomb-chest to John Vernon, d.1477. Polychromatic tomb chest to Sir George Vernon, d.1567, with 2 wives. Standing wall monument to John Manners, d.1584 and wife Dorothy Vernon; they kneel facing across a prayer desk, the children below. Large and more impressive standing monument to Sir George Manners, d.1623 and wife Grace Pierrepoint d.1650 with their children in prayer and a baby in swaddling clothes. Various plaques on west wall of south transept include several C17 brasses; the most elaborate to William Savile, d.1658, 'Steward to the Earle of Rutland'. Various wall monuments in the chancel. STAINED GLASS: north aisle window of 1893 by Henry Holiday; another by Kempe. Chancel east window of 1892. North transept window of 1881 by Hardman. Resurrection window in Vernon Chapel, 1859 also by Hardman. South porch contains a remarkable and very important collection of Anglo-Saxon, Norman and early medieval fragments discovered during the major works of the mid C19; other fragments against west wall of north aisle. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1986-: 71-74; Knighton L: Bakewell Church (Guide): 1985-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.