You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 468720  

Print Page

© Mr John H. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 468720
Photographer: Mr John H. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 20 August 1999
Date listed: 12 June 1997
Date of last amendment: 12 June 1997
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 24 SW BUCKLAND DUNGATES LANE 1896/0/10002 Windmill (in grounds of Yewdells) GV II Sawmill workshop. Built between 1860 and 1876 probably as a wind-powered sawmill workshop for the Buckland Court Estate. Timber-framed building clad in weatherboarding on brick plinth. Half-hipped oak-shingled roof, the flat part leaded and with tapering cylindrical tower. Square structure about 12x12 feet and 2 storeys with further storey 9 feet high. Front has 2 plank doors with iron hinges and 4 fixed casement windows. Right side has weatherboarded lean-to. INTERIOR: cross patterned timbers to wall frame which may be reused from the old parish church rebuilt in 1860. The first floor is reached by a ladder staircase and a further staircase gives access to the tower. At the time of survey the shuttered sails, fantail, cog patterns and other components were stored in a nearby garage. A metal plaque with the name "W Cooper Engineer Henfield" dates the structure to between 1860 and 1876 when he was a millwright. As the components are in such good condition and it is so rare to find cog patterns it is thought that the structure was abandoned before completely assembled. Although there are at least 3 documented examples of wind-powered sawmill workshops this is thought to be the only example surviving in the United Kingdom.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.