© Mr Andrew Parslow
FORMER STUCKEY AND BAGEHOT WAREHOUSE, BOW STREET
LANGPORT, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Andrew Parslow
29 September 2002
10 November 1998
Date of last amendment:
10 November 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 4026 LANGPORT BOW STREET
1090/0/10003 Former Stuckey and
Warehouse. Circa late C18, extended circa 1820 and 1837; built for the Parrett Navigation Company. English bond red brick, with Flemish bond extensions. Clay plain tile roofs with hipped ends.
PLAN: Long rectangular plan 2-storey main range, with single storey wing at rear [N] added in circa 1820 and extended on east side in about 1837.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey main range with 3:3 bay south front, with blocked loading doors to left and right on ground and first floors, flanked by small windows with 2-light frames; all windows and doorways have cambered brick arches; another blocked window to right of centre. Single-storey wings at rear [N], the west wing possibly originally open-ended.
INTERIOR: Ground floor of main range divided into two bays with brick cross-walls; unchamfered floor beams; 10-bay tie-beam and king-post roof trusses with struts and with staggered butt-purlins. Stairs with stone treads now within rear wing against rear wall of main range. Rear wing has aisled tie-beam roof.
NOTE: This warehouse was built by the Parrett Navigation Company, a trading company owned by Vincent Stuckey and Walter Bagehot.