You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 479579  

Print Page



©  Lorna Freeman

IoE Number: 479579
Location: ROTTINGDEAN WINDMILL AT NGR 365 024, NEVILL ROAD (north off)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Lorna Freeman
Date Photographed: 22 June 2007
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3602SE NEVILL ROAD, Rottingdean 577-1/62/1047 (North side (off)) 13/10/52 Rottingdean Windmill at NGR 365 024 GV II Smock mill. 1802, much restored. Brick base, tarred, weatherboarding above, also tarred. Octagonal with hooded cap. One entrance in base blocked up, but another apparently made. Shutters to sweeps and fantail missing. The mill went out of use in 1881 and was restored and repaired in various ways in 1905-6, 1935, 1966, 1975 and 1988. The artist William Nicholson used this mill as the starting-point for his design of a windmill in silhouette which is the imprint of Messrs Heinemann, publishers. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.