You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 83248  

Print Page



© Mr Nigel Ward LRPS

IoE Number: 83248
Location: HALL FARMHOUSE, MAIN STREET (west side)
  WESTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Nigel Ward LRPS
Date Photographed: 26 June 2001
Date listed: 02 September 1952
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 42 NWPARISH OF WESTON-UPON-TRENTMAIN STREET4/261(west side)2.9.52Weston Hall (formerlylisted as HallFarmhouse)

SK 42 NW PARISH OF WESTON-UPON-TRENT MAIN STREET 4/261 (west side) 2.9.52 Weston Hall (formerly listed as Hall Farmhouse) II* Large, unfinished, country house. Early C17 with minor later alterations. Built for the Roper family. Red brick with stone dressings, moulded stone stringcourses to each floor and above attic windows, flush ashlar quoins, and ashlar basement. Slate roofs with moulded stone copings to gables on plain kneelers and large quoined external brick side wall stacks. Three storeys with attics and basement. Probably intended to be H-plan but only one side wing and single bay of central wing erected. North facade of five bays, with central gabled staircase tower with 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows plus small pane casements, to each floor. To east, the basement has a C20 door and a blocked 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion window. Ground floor has two 3-light C20 cross timber casement windows in original recessed and chamfered surrounds. Above two 2-light recessed and chamfered mullioned and transomed windows with casements and above again one similar window to east. To west side of staircase there are later brick additions to basement and first floor, to east side. Western ground floor window has a door inserted below the transom. Above, first floor has similar 2-light windows as those to east and above there are two similar blocked windows. Gable walls have similar openings, that to west with all original openings complete, ie: with recessed and chamfered 2-light mullion and transomed windows to each floor and a 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion window in the attic. East gable wall has had the mullions and transoms to ground and first floor windows removed and replaced by 3-light timber cross casement windows. South elevation has jagged brick edges to central wing with a blank internal brick wall facing the exterior. To either side it has a similar arrangements of windows to those on the gable walls. In the re-entrant angle to west there is a small projecting part with circular stone windows to each floor. Interior has a full height open well staircase with four full height newels and moulded handrail with single stud to centre or wattle and daub panels. Eastern ground floor room has C17 panelling and a large chamfered stone fireplace with panelled overmantle. Adjoining room to west has the remains of similar panelling. Internal cross walls are all timber framed. Second floor and attics are unused and have no plaster on the walls. Second floor rooms have large chamfered stone fireplaces and stone doorcases. The roof has large double purlin strut trusses. Basement has large chamfered ceiling beams and houses the original kitchen, which has a massive chamfered stone fireplace. The house was probably built c1633 when the manor was granted to Anthony Roper by James I. It is said the Ropers became impoverished before building had gone very far and the unfinished structure was sold in 1649. The house was reputedly used as a barracks for the soldiers when Civil War fighting broke out in Weston in 1644. THe house was reputedly used as a barracks for the soldiers when Civil War fighting broke out in Weston in 1644.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.